There are so many authors to choose from and sometimes these authors write even more books using pseudonyms. I don't quite see the point in that but oh well. There are so many series to start with. Some can be stand alone and some you really need to start at the beginning. I guess it doesn't really matter to me whether it's part of a series or not. But here's what I've learned:
- Small towns have secrets. That's why someone gets killed.
- Everybody knows everything that goes on... or do they? Watch out for the quiet ones.
- There are a lot of mysterious/mischievous/mystical/magical cats. Dogs or other pets, not so much.
- A lot of times only one person in a small town would "discover" the dead body. Some gals/guys have all the luck.
- There's a lot of moonlighting going on. Example, small town librarian by day, investigating friend's cousin's case by night.
- Tension can lead to romance when law enforcement personnel is involved.