Friday, August 6, 2010

Technicolor Delight

"Tragedy is a test of courage." - Granny, A Star Is Born (1937)
If you like really old movies, I would recommend you watch A Star Is Born.  It's a story about a young woman who had dreamed of making it in Hollywood fully understanding the price of fame would be heartache. It's amazing to watch Old Hollywood - the people and the places. Budding stars were given new names and new backgrounds all for the sake of fame.  Nowadays, if something untrue or unacceptable was said about someone/something, you'll hear a reaction right away on Twitter, Facebook, or the concerned person's blog. 

I believe this has been remade by Judy Garland but I haven't seen that version. I tend to stick to the original ones mainly because it had to have been the best or it wouldn't be remade. I enjoyed watching this a lot. Sure it's not digitally remastered; you can still hear that constant hiss on the background, see how editing was not perfect, but I think these all add up to how wonderful this movie is. I really like that quote above. Everyone can relate.

Next planned movie: Pride and Prejudice (1940)

2 comments:

  1. A Star is Born. That the original to the Barbra Streisand/Kris Kristofferson movie? Will check it out!

    Pride and Prejudice 1940! I had that on video tape! I have a burning crush for cute dead guy Sir Laurence Olivier. What a hunk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It pro'ly is!

    And yes, Sir Laurence Olivier... *sigh...

    I think after this one I'll search for the first ever King Kong.

    ReplyDelete